Friday, October 29, 2010

Rectangles: Does symmetry exist?


Good Day to everyone, woke up this morning reading the messages and one message asked for the use of real people, instead of celebrities.  I thought it was a great idea, however the famous figures are only used as examples because we all are familiar with them when trying to get a visual of that particular shape.  I also want to state most if not all of the "celebrities" clothing come from the same stores where we shop, it's all about how you put it together and work it.  That is why this blog is important, I want us all to know we can achieve the same look seen on television and runaways with a little knowledge.  As we continue on this journey, I'm pondering on if I would like to use real women because honestly "celebrities" are real women who have either mastered dressing their body type or still are in the exploring stage.  I want to say right now money doesn't make the clothes, we do, our esteem for ourselves, our confidence,our ease in the clothing we wear.  Some of my favorite pieces in my closet have came from thrift stores, Target, and my Mom's closet - I want to be clear that knowing you are fabulous doesn't cost a thing.

So, on to the rectangle all experts claim this is the best body type to have because the body is balanced.  Let me just start by saying this body type is best when you are a size 0, us real women aren't size 0.  Again, I'm gonna give it to you in the real. This body type has excellent balance with the shoulders and hips, however once you gain weight most times the weight lands right in the center creating a larger a midsection.  So, let's come up with solutions to camouflage the midsection and create a fabulous waistline.

Overtime, we have been made to believe adding material covers and/or solves the problem.  I'm sorry to say it does not, adding larger, baggy garments to a problem area only makes the problem look larger.  That is why undergarments are extremely important (check out Tuesday's post) because they offer the convenience of minimizing and shaping.

With the rectangle shape you can wear a variety of clothing from skinny jeans, to bootcut, to pencil skirts, to empire waist and even mini shorts and skirts (this body type seems to always have fab legs). With having so much variety it is very important to be mindful of the midsection. Creating a waistline is simple and we some it up in three steps.

1. Elongating the body begins with posture, I know you say what does posture have to do with my midsection. It has EVERYTHING to do with your midsection.  The more we are aware of elongating our bodies, the more we hold in our stomachs. Try it, when you sit or stand up straight it is a natural reaction to pull the stomach in.

2. Another great option is garments that already have a waistband built in.


Queen Latifah is a great example of the rectangle body type, the waistband in this dress creates the elusion of a smaller waist.
I added this picture, just to give you a visual of the rectangle body type.

3. Find garments that in the design or layout of the print the construction becomes smaller at the waist (color blocking great example) - this hard to explain but the image below will allow you to see exactly what I'm referring to.


By looking at this garment, the placement of the black fabric creates a waistline.

This dress has the waistline and the color blocking which accentuates her waistline.


Now I add this picture because the placement of the fabric, creates a waistline.  If you look at the center there is dark shading that gives the silhouette of a smaller waist. Small details make all the difference.
Have a great weekend, we'll catch up on Monday!!! :)

I like this visual aid, it is a realistic look at the different body types.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya..Can you tell me where the black and beige dress worn by the blonde lady is from?

    ReplyDelete