Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Can "they" really relate to the REAL Woman???

Hi All, so lately - I've been completely perplexed by the style experts and style channels advice. Most give advice and tips on what to wear and sometimes I must say, did they look in the mirror or take a picture before they allowed that model to look like Boo Boo the Fool.
The most recent advice has been about coats and boots for the winter, okay great let me listen I always love to learn new things about fashion. Well ladies, the "experts" put a short thick beautiful woman in a boot that stop mid calf that also had fur.  This boot instantly made her shorter and wider.  Ladies, as I say all the time I'm passionate about finding the beauty in us all, when we realize what Mom, Grandma, and Auntie taught us were and still are the fundamentals of style because all it is confidence (okay went off on a tangent). Back to the boots, there are key components I want us all to remember when we shop.
1. The entire outfit on the mannequin isn't for me.  Having a degree in fashion allowed me to be behind the scenes quite a bit and finally realize everything is a sales tactic. My first intern was at a very upscale designer boutique, and let me tell you now if I have the opportunity to dress anything I'm super excited - LOVE IT!!!! My first opportunity in this boutique, I dressed the mannequin from head to toe...SHARP!!! Manager comes along, she loves it but tells me we can't use any of last seasons collection on the mannequin.  Why not???? It looks perfect!!! The manager finally ended by saying we have to display what's new to generate cash.  Long story, but I said all of this to say, some of this season's pieces might just be found on the sale rack with a slight difference such as the neckline, threading, color, etc. Before Christmas, I'm gonna do a fashion haul - just so you can save money and still look fab for the holidays without buying your holiday attire off the mannequin.
2. Ask yourself, if the garment lengthens your body.  Garments, that cut you off such as a pair of boots that stop mid-calf or capris takes the eye to too many places on your body because there isn't a continuous flow. The mid-calf boot was originally created to go under the trouser and offer support to the ankle (something like a high top).  As trends change, we must realize they aren't all for us. This mid-calf boot with a skirt takes the eye three different places (1) to the skirt (2) then to the little section of leg showing (3) and finally to the boot (take a moment and picture that). If you have purchased your mid-calf boot for the winter, I have an easy solution - rock it monochromatically which means tights, boot and skirts are all one color or a variation of that one color. Pair the mid-calf boots with jeggings/leggings, that are of similar color. I am so glad the balloon generation has died for dresses, tops and skirts, I couldn't figure out what designer or retailer thought this look was aesthetically appealing to a woman's body.  When we add more fabric we allow others to think it's more body underneath, now don't get me wrong but we all are ladies for a reason and should rock our curves. If you still own some of the balloon pieces and want to rock them this season, add a belt around the waist, thrown on a fitted blazer (that's been tailored in the shoulders and the sleeves) with some type of neckpiece depending on the neckline or get creative, take it to the tailor and create a new look.
3. Will the piece compliment what's already in my closet? So many times clients, as well as friends say I've had this item forever but don't know what to wear with it - then why buy it???  If in the store you don't know what to do with it, leave it there because it's wasted money that could've been used on a versatile piece that would mix well with your current wardrobe. Of course there are exceptions for special events or occasions where you need that fab garment.
4. I already have ten thousand BLACK ones another one won't hurt. Dress up was the funnest (is that a word??? LOL) thing ever, we get grown and think it's not okay to have fun.  Play dress up, this will teach you SO much about what works and doesn't work for your body -  colors, shapes, fit, length, proportion besides all that it's FUN!!! Black is great, but the the world consist of other colors, right??? Explore.

Chat later, stay Fab :)

1 comment: